If you have no heat there are 5 things to check before you call for service:
1. Is the thermostat working?
Is the room temperature within 2 or 3 degrees of the thermostat setting? If so, it’s working. If not, is it set to ‘on,’ is it set to ‘heat’? If those two settings are as they should be, is the thermostat set to come on and off at a certain time, and if so, is its clock set to the correct time? Finally, have you changed the battery recently?
2. Do you have fuel?
3. Is the burner emergency switch (usually at the top of the basement stairs and typically with a red switch plate) in the ON position?
4. Is the boiler/furnace switch (it looks like a light switch and is on the side of the heating unit), in the ON position.
5. Has the breaker on the electrical panel tripped?
How to Restart an Oil Boiler or Furnace:
- Locate the burner—a large motor sticking out from the heating system.
- On the burner is a black box with a bright red button—the ‘reset’ button. Press the reset button once and hold it for a few seconds. Release the button and, within 10 seconds, the burner should fire.
- If the burner does not fire, call us at 603.964.6703. DO NOT TRY THE RESET BUTTON MORE THAN ONCE—each time you hit the reset button it pumps oil into the firing chamber. If you push the button multiple times, when the burner finally refires it will ignite all that excess fuel at once and can cause a kick back.
How to Restart a Gas Boiler or Furnace:
- A gas burner does not have a reset button. Instead, follow these steps:
- Locate the boiler/furnace switch (it looks like a light switch and is on the side of the heating unit – see above #4).
- Turn the switch to the ‘off’ position. Wait 3 seconds then switch it back to ‘on.’
- If the burner does not fire within 1 minute DO NOT TRY AGAIN; call us at 603.964.6703, we’ll send someone out to you as soon as possible.
If you want to know more about what to do in a no-heat situation, the next time one of our technicians is at your property, ask him to show you around. He’ll be happy to point out the essentials and show you what to do in an emergency.
And remember, if you’re ever in doubt or if you ever need help, call us at 603.964.6703. We’re here to help and we’re here 24/7 all year round.