Lamprey Energy Provides Air Conditioning Installation, Maintenance and Repair for our Customers in Southern New Hampshire and Maine.
Here we are, mid summer in New England. The temperatures are up there, the sun is shining and, on some days, it’s HOT, HUMID and STICKY. But that’s OK because you’ve got air conditioning and you’re keeping cool.
But is the air conditioning system working as well as it should?
As ever there are simple maintenance steps that will help prolong your system’s life and ensure that during that life it’s working as efficiently as possible.
5 Ways to Maximize Your Air Conditioner’s Efficiency
- The most important thing is to keep the equipment clean – check that the condenser isn’t clogged up or obstructed in any way. If the condenser doesn’t have a good airflow it won’t work properly, so make sure there’s no leaves or mowing clippings in the way…or the kids aren’t using it as a drying rack for their towels! If possible give your condenser some shade – it can reduce the energy used to run the system by as much as 10%.
- Check the filter in the furnace or air handler. The filter’s job is to keep particles in the air out of the heat-exchange pump and out of your home. Over time the filter can clog up and air flow becomes restricted or blocked – that can increase your AC’s energy consumption by up to 15%. Step 1 is to clean the filter, Step 2 will be to replace it. Either way a clean filter is an efficient filter.
- Make sure your evaporator coil is checked every year and that it’s cleaned at least every two or three years. When the AC is running, the coil is moist and attracts dirt and mold. If the coil’s dirty you could be circulating unhealthy air around your home, and almost certainly wasting energy.
- Raise your thermostat setting a degree or two – the smaller the difference between the outside and the inside air temperature the lower the energy use.
- In humid weather keep your windows and doors shut even when the AC isn’t on. Part of the job of the AC unit is to reduce humidity – if you open the windows you let the humidity in. When you turn the AC back on it will take longer to cool the house because it’s wasting time and energy getting rid of the moisture.
Lamprey Energy services just about any AC system out there!
To request a free, no-obligation consultation, click here or call us at 603.964.6703.